The thyroid gland is controlled by the pituitary gland which is the master controller of the endocrine system.
The thyroid gland secretes hormones to regulate our metabolic processes,growth and energy.
The thyroid starts by releasing Thyroid stimulating hormones ( TSH) which then prompts the T3 and T4, 2 primary hormones .
T3 is more active than T4 but is produced in much smaller quantities , essentially if we have low levels of T3 and T4 result in a reduced metabolism .
An enlarged thyroid gland is called a ‘goitre’ a deficiency of Iodine in the diet is as common cause along with endocrine disturbers.
In attempt to produce more Thyroid hormones the gland gets larger and larger .
Over active Thyroid - (Hyperthyroidism)
An overactive thyroid glands is where it produces too much T4 and T3 into the bloodstream causing the embolism to speed up .Graves diseases is the most common cause which is known as an auto immune disease .
Shortness of breath
Temore ( shaking hands)
Sweeating and sensitivity to heat
Weightloss despite an increased appetite
Nervousness , anxiety
Under active Thyroid ( Hypothyroidism )
An under active thyroid releases too little T4 and T3 reducing the metabolism to slow down.The most common cause is Hashimoto’s disease.
Feeling cold even on warm days
Unusual weight gain
|Supportive tips for balancing the thyroid gland|
1) Check your nutrient levels for proper functioning Selenium,Iron, Zinc ,Vitamins A, B2, B6 and B12 , D ,Potassium, Copper, Chromium.
2) Assess serum levels with a comprehensive thyroid test including antibodies and urine Iodine. Treat high levels of reverse T3.
3) Assess and treat cortisol and/or estrogen excess.
4) Balance protein levels; decrease if excessive and increase if inadequate.
5) Buy organic foods to reduce toxicity and endocrine disturbance .
6) Reduce excessive consumption of soy products, cruciferous vegetables, walnuts and alcohol, gluten, excess seafood - high mercury ( only have wild caught fish and farmed trout).
7) Consider some herbal medicines such as Withania, Coleus, Nigella .
8) Reduce excessive exercise and adopt better stress management .
9) Drink purifed water, Fluoride may interfere with T3 production.
10) Reduce chemicals in the home and for skin care as they affect the endocrine system and worsen thyroid function .
Please seek professional advice before starting any treatment and be careful to monitor levels .